Creativity appears in countless forms. How we express our creative sides is completely up to us. I love to bake healthy and interesting recipes, cook with new ingredients, program workouts for clients, listen to different genres of music daily, write, and daydream about places I want to visit. Doing something creative every day helps us tap into our passions; what we love to do and something we can spend hours on without realizing the passing of time. It can also help alleviate stress and anxiety, allow an escape from the day, and start to open up our minds to new perspectives. How do you like to express creativity? Are you allowing yourself to do so? If you feel like your daily life could use more of it, here are 20 ideas to help you develop your creative side. Have fun!
1. Write; about anything, anyone, your day, your worries, your dreams. Write in a journal, on the computer, on random pieces of paper. Always have a pen and paper handy.
2. Sew, knit, crochet or learn to sew, knit, crochet, etc.
3. Read blogs or start your own blog
4. Read a book you can get lost in
5. Bake and experiment with recipes
6. Cook or attend a cooking class
7. Take a drum lesson, singing lesson, ice skating lesson, photography class, etc.
8. Learn something new or learn more about something that intrigues you via a (free!) online class at coursera.org
9. Plan a trip. Where will you go? What will you see/do? What will you eat? Where will you stay?
10. Attend a wine and painting night (These are awesome and held in most larger cities)
11. Make music but if that’s not your thing, listen to live music, or appreciate a new genre of music you don’t usually listen to.
12. Sing in the car, in the shower, at your desk, etc.
13. Develop a hobby (DIY projects, gardening, woodworking, etc.)
14. Draw something
15. Organize a drawer, closet, cupboards, etc.
17. Appreciate art (at a museum, art fair, a friend’s paintings or photography)
18. Learn a new language
19. Go on a walk with no distractions and just wander
20. Daydream. What would your dream house look like? If you owned a restaurant, what would be on the menu? If you had the ability to teleport anywhere in the world, where would you go? What would you do? What does a perfect day look like? Great! Now write about it. Paint it. Draw it. Tell someone about it. 🙂
Have a creative week!