Good morning! How was your weekend? I hope you had some good summer weather where you were and that you got the chance to get out and enjoy it! We totally lucked out with the weather here and had two nice, sunny days. I was able to take a walk with my sister through some cute neighborhoods and explore a nice trail on Saturday and then enjoy plenty of laughs at the Comedy Club that evening. My Sunday was spent catching up with some laundry, working a bit, and spending some time with the fam while enjoying a lovely Sunday night meal.
As I was catching up with a girlfriend of mine and my sister over the weekend, it dawned on me that each one of us is in a different stage of life, each with its own set of struggles. It reminded me of an email I had received from TUT-A Note From the Universe one day.
It read, “Kelly, you chose your dreams for the journeys they’d make possible, and you knew when you chose them there’d be obstacles, crises, and young souls who’d stand in your way. They exist by design. To tempt you, lure you, test you. So that you can come back, prevail, rise above, and rock on. And ultimately to convince you of your awesomeness. They’re part of the plan. There have been no mistakes. All is supremely well. These are the days, Kelly, mid-adventure, that will mean the most to you. Enjoy the journey.”
When I read this email, it really resonated with me so I kept it in my inbox to refer back to on days when I’m full of doubts. This small reminder that even though life isn’t easy, tough decisions have to be made, and frustrations can get the best of us, life is as it should be. There is always a choice to be made and everything that challenges us also helps us learn the tough lessons that will only make us smarter and better as we continue on our journey.
On the days when an email doesn’t seem to be lifting your spirits, you’re lonely, stressed beyond belief, or just struggling with the fact that Monday is here already, trying a couple of pick-me-ups may help shake you out of it. A few of my favorites include:
1. Watch a favorite movie, preferably something lighthearted, funny, or completely relatable.
2. Listen to music. A playlist that is full of mood-changing upbeat songs: Spotify’s “Follow Your Bliss” is a good option.
3. Go on a walk with a friend, your dog, or just you. Changing up my environment always lifts my spirits.
4. Sweat. Do a workout at home, the gym, or at your favorite CrossFit. Of course you have the help of wonderful endorphins, but being around others in a positive environment can be the ultimate pick-me-up.
5. Get some perspective. Talk with a friend or someone who knows you well. Watch the movie “Unbroken” which shook up my life perspective incredibly. Know that you are doing the best you can.
What are your favorite pick-me-ups? Have a wonderful week!